Understanding & Applying The Code of Ethics & Professional Client Care
What is the Code of Ethics & Professional Client Care and how does it affect you?
The Code sets out the standard of professional conduct and client care required of agents and salespersons. It applies to all aspects of real estate agency work and will be used as a reference point for discipline. If you fail to observe the Code, it may amount to unsatisfactory professional conduct or professional misconduct and you could be subject to disciplinary actions under CEA.
From this workshop, participants can keep abreast of and comply with all applicable laws, practice circulars and guidelines relating to CEA’s Code of Ethics and Professional Client Care.Using significant court prosecution and disciplinary cases related to Code of Ethics and Professional Client Care, we will understand what has been contravened.
- General duty to clients and public (include communicating all offers to clients in a timely manner, act in the best interest of clients, updating clients on development and issues pertaining to the transactions)
- Not to bring discredit or disrepute to real estate industry
- Duty in respect of agreements
- Duty in respect of advertisements (including outdoor advertising). Cross-refer to practice guidelines on ethical advertising and be conversant with the required information to include, such as salesperson’s name or business name as stated in the public register
- Recommending professional advice to clients where appropriate
- Duty to avoid conflict of interests
- Safeguarding confidential information